Work from Home: Setting up a home office in your apartment
There are many benefits to working from home including reducing stress, minimizing your carbon footprint, and saving money.
But, without the proper home office, you may experience increased distractions or difficulty separating your work life from your home life.
Rockliffe Residences has some great suggestions on setting up a home office in your apartment and a few tips that will help you maintain your focus and productivity:
First, determine how much workspace you'll need and how much privacy is required.
Unless you have a spare bedroom in your apartment, try to find a location for your workspace that won't be obtrusive to your home life. If your apartment has a large master bedroom, make use of any unused space by adding a desk at the foot of your bed or purchase a unit that fits into a corner. This would be a more private & quiet option if you have roommates or children living with you.
For alternative rooms, consider using a secretary desk in your living room or dining room. These desks are perfect for small spaces as they allow you to tuck your work away when not in use.
If you have no extra room to add a desk, use your dining table. Just make sure to clear away any work related items at the end of your work day, so you aren't tempted to do work during your free time. For those who work from home regularly, the work-life balance can be hard to maintain and keep separate. Remember your down time is valuable, in order to stay motivated and focused when you are supposed to be working.
Last but not least, make sure you have a proper filing cabinet or area where you can store paperwork and office supplies, so they don't take up room in your living space.
Extra tips to help you stay focused while working from home:
- Avoid answering any calls that aren't work related. Let the answering service take messages for you and respond to them after work.
- Set goals for yourself and if needed, keep a list of tasks handy.
- Treat your workload as you would if you were in an office. Don't step out for errands or start any household chores.
- Take a break. Maintaining focus will be easier when you give your mind a 10-minute break. Take a walk around your apartment, step outside for some fresh air, or put on a pot of coffee.
- Minimize distractions. Pick a quiet time of day to work when you know you won't be disrupted with phone calls or other responsibilities.
Rockliffe Residences has many spacious suites that would accommodate a home office. Contact us to view our suites today.